♪ If I'm not beside you, I'm inside you ♪
- Pharrell Williams
And judging by the quality of work in A Touch of Sin, I'd say...
I <3 Jia Zhangke.
The movie was not only visually impressive (dat colour) but the stories themselves were simultaneously morbid as fuck and captivating enough to leave you wanting much more after 133 minutes. Four stories - four everyday people - victims of China's malicious social landscape. They have families. Friends. Children. Lovers. But are ultimately driven to a social abyss filled with sex work, robbery, murder and suicide.
What I really enjoyed was:
1. All the stories reflect true events that have happened in China e.g. the highly controversial 2011 high speed bullet train crash in Wenzhou which killed 40 and was a result of shoddy infrastructure, which in turn was a result of heinous state corruption; the practice of rich men having mistresses; factory worker suicides (the film subtly hinted at Apple's Foxconn factories in China)
2. If you look past Jia's deliberate but kind of random wuxia spin on the film, the stories felt really authentic. The film moved slowly but every second was a deep and fascinating exploration into this one person's shitty life - and it reminds you that all those people suffering in China right now and working themselves to death trying to support themselves or their families aren't just statistical figures or CNN news stories but real people with crushes, dreams and ideals just like us...as platitudinous as that sounds.
I really liked this film but it's not even considered Jia's best so perhaps I should get around to watching Still Life and 24 City.
Ok I cannot be fucked typing anymore so I'm going to end by saying we later met two young film industry experts and had dinner with them at where else but Rice Paper Vietnamese Restaurant, then we had a massively esoteric debate about auteurs and why Jack (the new guy) hates Daniel Day-Lewis, Meryl Streep, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and just about everyone else you like. He works at all the upcoming film festivals in Melbourne so yay CONNEXIONS!!!
I am also listening to Luxurious by Gwen Stefani right now.
Sexy as hell.
No comments:
Post a Comment