As if my taste buds aren't already stultified to the max, my grandma and aunt just arrived from China. It means that there is now a 0% chance I get to eat Western food for lunch or dinner unless I make it myself, which is equally as devastating because I can't cook anything other than pasta and chicken risotto (that one time I cooked out of pure necessity to feed my friends) using the microwave half the time. This will also make me sound like a spoilt noveau riche kid but I have never even fried an egg.
Yes, shake your head. Cyber slap me. Tell me I'm naughty. Reowr.
Honestly though, I don't know how the other Chinese kids do it. How? HOW?
There should come a certain point in your life when you put your chopsticks down and go: "No, I cannot take any more bowls of plain white rice, bok choi and sweet and sour pork. Give me pasta, lasagne, pizza, steak, chips, gravy, mashed potatoes and pavlova okay not really that last one."
And yes, my mum actually does make a hell of a lot of sweet and sour pork. It's a true stereotype.
Personally, I just can't stand Chinese food anymore. Or maybe if we get to the bottom of it, it's just the food my mum cooks. Because she cooks the exact same thing almost every day. Or maybe I'm just a really ungrateful little shit.
There's also the issue of me not really liking meat. I'd much rather prefer vegetables. But when Chinese people make vegetarian dishes, they just dump a whole lot of broccoli, mushrooms and carrots onto a plate and try to pass that off as a legitimately satisfying dish. Bloody hell.
So yeah. I crai.
For the time being, I still have a fridge full of Lean Cuisine boxes. Once they run out though, consider my gastronomic life over.
http://dailyglassofoj.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/food-and-cooking.html
ReplyDelete